Saturday, March 20, 2010

Saturday Travels a.k.a. The sight seeing blitz

Yesterday was a big trip for me. With my supervisor now gone any traveling that I do, I do by myself. So I thought no reason to kick it all hidden in my hotel room and instead I planned myself a trip. Close to here (about a 25 min train ride) is the area of Kamakura. Back in the 1200 - 1300's it was the capital and thriving city center of Japan. Very rich in older culture and sights. I had been through briefly last weekend and on my check list of things I want to do, returning to here was a high priority. So using a map or two, some information about the different sight I planned out a weekend of wandering around this area. I think over the day I saw maybe 8 or 9 shrines/temples. So I won't take the time to hit everyone but rather some highlights.

The main reason I wanted to go back was because of two particular places. The first was the Zuisenji Temple on the far outside of town. This was so remote and out of the way I my thought is that it would be the best to just visit without many other people. Most of the sights closer to town attract both foreign travelers as well as local people on the weekends. So in trying to avoid a few crowds and wander through some old Japanese gardens in peace, I figured this was the spot. Turns out I was right. The walk was probably a good 20 min from anything close to resembling the main city. Tucked back in the hills was this small temple. Unlike many of the other ones I had seen it was not overly ornate or glamorous. Most temples or shrines have a small entrance fee (usually 200 to 500 yen, or 3 to 6 bucks) which gives you entrance and some kind of informational brochure to read. This was the only place that didn't have an english one and you could tell they don't get too frequented by out of town folks. Most of the people I saw where there to pay respects to their elders in the cemetery right next to the temple. But the place was wonderful. There had been only needed restoration on the buildings so everything actually looked and felt like it was from the period when it was first built. And the gardens were just wonderful, I wish I could see it in full bloom.

The second place I wanted to go was Hokokuji Temple. Not so much for the sake of the temple but rather the 2000 year old bamboo forest behind the temple. Yep, bamboo forest. I had been waiting to see some actually (strange as it is there isn't much real growing bamboo around unless you search hard for it). The forest actually isn't too big but it was really neat. The light plays tricks on you as the wind blows causing the bamboo to part then close up again, moving the shade around. In the back of the forest is a small tea shop which I had to have a drink of. To the best of my ability I can tell you that green tea ranked up with some of the best I have ever had.

There are tons of photos uploaded for Kamakura and I am sure you all will have some questions. Send me some and I can try to answer them. Also while I was out I made sure to see some of the "typical" tourist sights and so I did go see the giant bronze Buddha, I was not super impressed and there was tons of people, and the caves on Endosima Island, which were really cool. Legend says that one of the caves goes all the way to the ice caves under Fuji... I am not sure if I believe that, but it would be one long walk if they did.

Hope you all enjoy the photos. Today I am going to go to church. The service starts in a little bit so I better get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment